Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Second Sensor Cleaning

mpage

San Jose, US
351 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Second Sensor Cleaning"

mpage Registered since 29th Jun 2004
Thu 18-Apr-13 01:48 PM | edited Thu 18-Apr-13 02:22 PM by mpage

Nicholas,

I cannot say which device was most useful because they are an ensemble group of tools. In this case I did not need the wet tools.

After getting the test reference images, I employed the following:

1. I Used a micro-cloth to clean the outer rim of the camera chamber and the corresponding lens mount. I do this often. I also use a bulb blower on the chamber between lens changes.

2. I examined the mirror and chamber using the VisibleDust Loupe. There was a bit of dust on the mirror and around the chamber. I used the FireFly blower on the mirror and chamber. I also used an old set of VisibleDust Sensor Brushes that I got for my Nikon D100 years ago. These brushes are now only used on the mirror and chamber. I blasted the brushes with air from the FireFly blower and then brush away any dust in the chamber or on the mirror. Any dust in the chamber or on the mirror could easily find its way onto the sensor. This is the reason it is important to keep the mirror and chamber dust free.

3. After I was happy with the look of the mirror and chamber, I exposed the digital sensor and used the FireFly Blower. I then used the Arctic Butterfly.

4. I repeated the process in No. 3 a few times, taking a test images after giving the sensor a good look with the loupe.

5. There was one persistent speck of dust on the sensor. I used the SensorPen on this small area of the sensor.

Note on the VisibleDust Arctic Butterfly. The brush is good, but the lights are terrible. Even though there are two LEDs, it is dim. I use an LED headlight to get good illumination.

Also never let the Arctic Butterfly, or any other sensor brush, touch anything except the sensor and air blasts from a bulb blower or a FireFox blower. Keep brushes secured in the storage case.

If you forget and allow the brushes to touch any other surfaces you will need to clean the brush using a special solution.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

A general, generic topic Second Sensor Cleaning [View all] , mpage , Sat 13-Apr-13 09:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Second Sensor Cleaning