Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 Auto Focus Problems

dagoldst

Little Rock, US
3093 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 Auto Focus Problems"

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012
Mon 15-Apr-13 04:36 PM

David,

Your question implies that you have had bad experiences with your D7000 and see something in the D7100 that you were not getting. Is that the case or am I misreading what you are saying?

As far as older cameras, as an example, I have used far less capable AF systems without issues, such as the D70s and D200. Still, new capabilities open new possibilities.

I have shot the D600 under candlelight level lighting, at ISO 6400, and gotten consistent in-focus results, (and this is with the AF Assist light turned OFF). That's with the 24-85mm VR, btw. I have also used it on fast moving wildlife, such as Canadian geese with my 70-300MM VR at f/8 to f/11. It locks on and stays locked on. It's a very capable AF system.

I'm mildly ambivalent on the bracketing capability requirement. I used to be one of the original moderators for the HDR forum here and once upon a time, created thousands of HDR images with both 3 shot and 9 shot bracket capable cameras back when the DR was much lower than it is today. I couldn't find a difference in final output in a carefully prepared capture and post processing workflow. Folks like Thom Hogan think 9 shots is actually too many, (I believe he prefers 2 shots). I would not argue that conclusion from my personal perspective.

I don't shoot HDR but rarely anymore as it is hard to find any application that accurately reproduces colors - besides, I find the D600 has so much DR, I can get the shot I want without the extra hassle - I have gone back to using a GND if I think the DR is going to be too much.

Just a perspective,

David

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof " - Carl Sagan

A general, generic topic D600 Auto Focus Problems [View all] , allons Silver Member , Sun 14-Apr-13 12:08 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 Auto Focus Problems