Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
bipock

Greenville, US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Considering Nikon"

bipock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2013
Tue 16-Apr-13 06:53 PM

I recently made the move to Nikon from Canon, selling off a 5D3, 1D4, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 II, 400 5.6 and a couple other items. Thus far, I am relatively pleased with the Nikon system.

As you have researched, selling used and buying used makes you breakeven, buying new costs a little out of pocket but maybe worth it for the warranty protection, which is better than anything Canon offers.

Glass wise, they're pretty even in the upper levels with Nikon's lower end stomping Canon. Based on what you are shooting, you'll likely see no difference.

When I switched, I made the choice to go D800. Little heavier than the 5D3 and a little beefier. Excellent camera if you can deal with the large files and the slow FPS. Other than, top notch. I have since sold that body and am looking for a D600 - less beef, but smaller files and higher FPS (important to me). Either camera should be as good or better in terms of higher ISOs, which your current setup should be able to do well also.

Overall, my switch has been a positive one and I am enjoying my new setup. Be prepared for a learning curve as Nikon does things differently, but it shouldn't be a big deal for you.

Good luck!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as in need of help Considering Nikon [View all] , Aleness , Fri 12-Apr-13 02:32 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Considering Nikon