Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Considering Nikon"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 14-Apr-13 12:54 PM

I understand the importance of high ISO, but when I look at my important images I rarely go above ISO 1600. The much bigger factor for me is dynamic range and color at lower ISO levels. The D800 and D600 really excel at low ISO levels where I shoot most often.

I'm not sure I'd make a change to Nikon over $800-900, but I am excited about the series of cameras Nikon has delivered for the past few generations. They have consistently provided significant technological advances. And in general, the cameras are very intuitive and ergonomically fit well.

Both companies have hits and misses with the lenses. If you are choosing pro level lenses, both companies have winners. The Nikon lenses generally rate well in comparisons but both are very good.

One area you may not have reviewed is the Nikon TTL flash system. The flash system is excellent and lets Nikon users automate flash in many situations through through the lens metering and flash control. The D800/D600 have an on board flash which is very useful in controlling additional off camera flashes.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A topic tagged as in need of help Considering Nikon [View all] , Aleness , Fri 12-Apr-13 02:32 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Considering Nikon