Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Aleness

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Considering Nikon"

Aleness Registered since 11th Apr 2013
Fri 12-Apr-13 04:32 PM

Hi guys,

I've been a Canon shooter for awhile and currently shooting with 5Dm2. Lately, I've started looking at Nikon cameras and I like what I see. I've read numerous reviews, comparisons, forums, etc., until my eyes bleed.
Currently, I'm trying to choose between D600 and D800.
Here are my considerations:
1. Since D600 is a consumer body, I'm afraid it's going to feel small and not beefy enough, coming from a pro Canon body.
2. I couldn't find much information on weather sealing, since it's a very important requirement for me - sand, dust and occasional drizzle. I usually take my camera everywhere.
3. I don't print huge posters, so I don't need 36 MP and those huge files do fill up memory cards and hard drive fast. By the way, can I just select to use smaller RAW files or shoot at ~ 20-24 MP?
4. Since 5Dm2 has only 9 focus points in the middle of the matrix, and realistically, I mostly use center point, I believe moving to 51 or even 39 points would be a huge improvement.
5. I'm being a hobbyist, so the price is always a consideration. Considering my requirements, is $800 worth the difference?

I shoot mostly people, kids, some events. Rarely landscapes, never sports.
Any input from those who switched or familiar with both systems?

Thanks a bunch

A topic tagged as in need of help Considering Nikon [View all] , Aleness , Fri 12-Apr-13 02:32 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Considering Nikon