Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Scene detection 2K vs 91K for a D4/D800. Does it matte...

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Scene detection 2K vs 91K for a D4/D800. Does it matter?"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 20-Sep-12 06:25 PM

For my purposes, metering is *not* rocket science.

In the modes I typically work, birds in flight I usually meter the ambient light and shoot in manual exposure mode. Landscapes, ISO & aperture are fixed, so metering comes down to the simple, 1-dimensional question of what is my shutter speed, and because my subject isn't moving, I have time to check the histogram and re-shoot if the meter got it wrong.

So, for me, I don't believe I benefit at all from an advanced scene detection mode.

However, as Stan points out, some people have much more complicated metering requirements. Add in flash and now you're metering and executing 2 different exposures (ambient and flash). If your subject is moving, then you don't get the chance to re-shoot. So for some people, I can see 91K being an advantage.

I guess it depends on your needs. I wouldn't even blink at the D600 scene detection system.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic Scene detection 2K vs 91K for a D4/D800. Does it matte... [View all] , JohnE Nikon , Tue 18-Sep-12 02:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Scene detection 2K vs 91K for a D4/D800. Does it m...