Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D600 / new user. Backfocusing on a couple new lense...

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New D600 / new user. Backfocusing on a couple new lenses? Advice."

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Fri 29-Mar-13 01:49 AM

AF Fine Tune is precarious at best for prime lenses. Add in a zoom, it gets much more complicated unless you typically shoot at nearly the same distances and zoom levels. The following are all rhetorical questions and food for thought.

How do you know your testing and findings were correct?

Do your settings change at different distances or when the color temperature and brightness of the light changes?

You have only one setting for a lens. How does your one setting affect focus at the rest of the zoom range and distance settings? Did it change your focus at infinity anyplace within the range?

For me and a zoom, I'd test at probably at five different zoom settings at three focus distances, three times. That's 45 separate test. And if the results were not consistent, I'd have do much of it or all of it all over.

Then with consistent results I'd have to figure how I could best use the single setting I have.

So for me - I go and get some experience with the gear. If I start to see or feel something is not right then I try and locate the trouble area. Then I'll test. I don't look for solutions before I have a problem.

Oh and your 50mm f/1.8 - it is soft at 1.8 and doesn't really sharpen up till f/2.8. Take the same photos of a subject about 2 feet away at 1.8, 2.0, 2.8 and 4.0, and with a background more than six feet away. I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New D600 / new user. Backfocusing on a couple new lense... [View all] , thebland Silver Member , Wed 13-Mar-13 10:52 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D600 / new user. Backfocusing on a couple new l...