Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What would be a show stopper for you?

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: What would be a show stopper for you?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 07-Sep-12 04:01 AM

> 1/4000

I barely ever use 1/8000th, even though nearly all of my current bodies have it. Definitely not a show stopper for me. I barely use 1/4000th, and pretty much ALL of my cameras have that. (OK, my N2000 doesn't. I haven't taken a single frame on that one since 1990. Other than that, only the F2 doesn't have 1/4000th.) Lightroom tells me that less than 0.5% of my 140k+ frames were faster than 1/4000th. Even worse, a quick review of them suggests that only about ten of them (that means a total of ten frames) had any reason to be shot at that high speed. All the rest were photographer errors, mostly about leaving some high ISO set and then not paying attention. Very, very embarrassing.

> possible lack of weather sealing

A totally irrelevant one for me. First and foremost, most of my gear already doesn't have "sealing" (which Nikon doesn't warranty anyway), and second, I have some "sealed" pro bodies. Besides, if the going gets rough, I have rain covers that do a far more effective job than any on-camera features.

> AF module

It needs to be at least as good as the F100 to be acceptable to me. Ie CAM900. More or less the equal of the D100 or D70, although I'd like more than 5 points. Say, minimum 11 points.

> other...?

poor manual controls. If it can only do a 3-shot bracket, or doesn't have a subcommand dial, or requires digging through menus to change ISO, or something like that.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic What would be a show stopper for you? [View all] , BR , Thu 06-Sep-12 07:59 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What would be a show stopper for you?