Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do you manual focus beyond AF Detection Limit

blw

Richmond, US
28566 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Do you manual focus beyond AF Detection Limit"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 25-Feb-13 09:38 PM

> With D600 the AF detection limit of the central point is F8

You're misinterpreting the specification. That means that the system is not guaranteed to AF with a lens that is slower than f/8. (Or, more likely, a lens combination slower than f/8 - such as a f/5.6 superzoom with a 2x TC, which is net f/11.)

The reason for this is that AF (as well as metering and viewing) is done at full aperture, regardless of the selected shooting aperture. So for example, since I often shoot macro at f/11, f/16 or even f/32 - yes I know about diffraction - I'm still metering and AF at f/4 or f/2.8. There is no reason to switch to MF for those reasons. (However, for many macro subjects, MF is a better way to work since the placement of the AF target is often less precise.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A topic tagged as having a question Do you manual focus beyond AF Detection Limit [View all] , Bits , Mon 25-Feb-13 06:32 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do you manual focus beyond AF Detection Limit