Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon offical response to D600 dust/oil issue

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon offical response to D600 dust/oil issue"

Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Tue 26-Feb-13 05:28 PM | edited Tue 26-Feb-13 06:23 PM by Ray B

>Thanks Brian for allowing my admittedly heated post, but the
>use of the word "hysteria" in the previous post
>rather set me off.

>I have seen no signs of hysteria in this
>thread and if that exists in the blogosphere a reference would
>be appropriate. Thom Hogan
>states the case in various blog posts and if the previous
>poster is referring to those comments as "hysteria"
>then I propose that he make his own case in some detail.

I'm sorry if my post caused any confusion or worse still offence. In post 6 Richard kindly provided a link to the article on Photography Life on this issue. I do indeed respect that blog and thought it was a good post. It was the COMMENTS on that blog post I was referring to and I appreciate my post here could have been clearer (but I didn't think it was overly vague either, having re-read it). I'm not sure how on earth Thom Hogan (another I respect) gets dragged into this. He has not been mentioned anywhere on this thread (nor does his site have a visitor comment facility).

Specific examples of comments on that blog post that prompted my comment here :

Comment 1 - The poster is so disgusted with Nikon he'll never buy Nikon again. This chap owns a trouble free D700. He's never had a D600

Comment 7 - Agrees with comment 1

Comment 15 - Thoroughly fed up with Nikon over the D600 "issue". Poster has a trouble free D800 and D7000 though, not a D600.

Comment 38 - Another poster who is so disgusted with Nikon he won't buy Nikon ever again. He also has a trouble free D700. He's also never had a D600.

It was that kinda stuff that prompted my comment here. A quick Google around will find this kinda stuff all over the net - flaming from armchair critics, some of whom have likely never even held a D600 yet alone used or owned one, fights breaking out, arguments, allsorts. This kind of stuff "out there" does not help in gaining a real grip on the extent of this issue.

Luckily, here on Nikonians, we have none of that. For sure we discuss such problems, but in a reasoned rather than sensationalist way, and certainly not with insult or argument!.

It's part of why I value my membership here so highly, it's a quality community.

I commented on one of the other threads here that I thought Nikon could handle the oil issue better. I also even started a thread about my oil contamination (with a crop to illustrate it) which was discussed intelligently and I appreciated the feedback. I still maintain the dust issue (as opposed to oil) is overblown a lot of the time. Sure some D600's seem to have more than should be there, equally the high resolution sensor shows it more compared to the 12mp and earlier generations.

To anybody that took my post as being dismissive or disrespectful of a problem I apologise and hopefully I've clarified what I meant.

I certainly never mentioned any hysteria appearing on THIS THREAD, as there wasn't any

PS, I'm not a Nikon fanboy. I'm a customer with a very significant investment in Nikon gear this last 5 years and the sum total of my "problems" has been one small oil contamination in all that time

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Nikon offical response to D600 dust/oil issue [View all] , FearSys , Fri 22-Feb-13 12:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon offical response to D600 dust/oil issue