Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D600. For what we paid?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
blw

Richmond, US
28709 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Nikon D600. For what we paid?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 26-Feb-13 05:05 PM | edited Tue 26-Feb-13 05:11 PM by blw

> What a disappointment! As there is a team member, so is a Nikon advocate.

I hardly think that I'm blindly taking Nikon's position. Nikon certainly doesn't think I'm a fanboy. (If you doubt this, find a few of my posts on their repair policies. Or my comments on lenses. Or twenty other things, actually.) But just because you don't agree with my opinion does NOT automatically mean that I'm an advocate for "the other side."

The focus indicator, as far as I know, does not ever produce that "unable to use auto-focus" message. It either lights up when the AF target is on an in-focus subject, or it doesn't. This is a MANUAL focus assist, which is what you asked for. YOU move the focusing ring (or the camera) and the focus dot indicator either comes on or it doesn't. Is this blind? I hardly think so.

> on page 51 in a chart "Using auto-focus in Live View" you would read: "The camera maybe unable to focus in the following situations..."

You are not reading the entire section, then. What you have not noticed is that you can use Live Mode and then set the camera / lens in MANUAL focus mode - which is what you asked for. Then you can see the image as focused on the sensor, and turning the focusing ring (or moving the camera, perhaps on a focusing rail) will cause the displayed image to be in or out of focus. Furthermore, you can zoom in on the focus point and magnify VERY greatly - I don't know how much it's magnified at maximum on a D600, but suffice to say that it is considerable. Moreover, because this method relies on the sensor itself, it pretty much by definition cannot be inaccurate. So I claim that this is in fact a very useful manual focus aid. Whether you like it or not is a different question, but you cannot really say that Nikon did not put in "manual focusing aids."

Finally, I have plenty of experience with older manual focus cameras and their focusing screens. I also have considerable experience with a digital body with a replacement split image rangefinder screen. I can assure you that LiveView is dramatically more accurate than the type A split image rangefinder in my Nikon F2 (or for that matter the type H full-field microprism screen), as well as much more accurate than my D2x with a KatzEye with split image rangefinder and microprism collar.

> Concerning zero pixels producing to be continue

Please tell us how you can produce a file with zero pixels. I am not as experienced as some other folks around here, but I do have a reasonable understanding of the file formats - at a programming level - and a zero pixel file is not a valid file format for either TIF or JPEG. I'd be surprised if it's valid for a raw (NEF) file either, since it would make no logical sense to provide EXIF and other metadata with no image. And while I've only been doing digital photography for a few years, I have never heard of any zero-pixel file generated by a camera. Given the file format definitions, I am pretty sure that if one did get created, it would be either a bug in the code or a corruption introduced in the transfer process.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member Nikon D600. For what we paid? [View all] , davidben33 , Wed 20-Feb-13 06:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D600. For what we paid?
     Reply message Nikon D600. For what we paid
          Reply message RE: Nikon D600. For what we paid
               Reply message RE: Nikon D600. For what we paid