Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Telephoto lens in DX mode on D600

TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US
214 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Telephoto lens in DX mode on D600"

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Wed 13-Mar-13 08:07 PM

>That said I still don't get why anyone would benefit from
>using that solution and letting the camera throw the pixels
>away at the point of capture to get the "crop
>factor" for more reach.
>
>Surely a custom crop (or aspect ratio constrained) would
>always be better in post

True and I agree, but there are thoses situations that you might want not want to fill up your cards buffer with extra pixles. Like when I shoot sports. I know I'm going to crop anyway so If you frame correctly you can avoid buffer and or cf card being filled up. I would choose to shoot in dx and save the buffer in that situation.

I think compositions is over rated to a point. Granted a little wiggle room is good to have. Some of my best shots have come from prime lenes where I thought I may have shot to tight. If you can't compose your shot and your shooting zoom then somethings not right.
Just my two cents.

Now if I had the abality to use a longer lens I would do so and If I wanted to save buffer I might reduce the file size of the image in camera. That would be an expermiment as that is not part for my work flow.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Telephoto lens in DX mode on D600 [View all] , polarpics Silver Member , Thu 14-Feb-13 12:48 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Telephoto lens in DX mode on D600