Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Yet another pondering a D600 upgrade

HenkB

Wayland, US
549 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Yet another pondering a D600 upgrade"

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Thu 31-Jan-13 01:48 PM

I moved up from D70 to D300 several years ago then moved laterally to D90 and stayed there until gearenvysyndrome (popularly known in these here parts as NAS - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) got the better of me and I plumped for a D600. My shooting profile probably matches yours. Where I am slightly more 'advanced' (perhaps the better term would be lost to the disease) is in having acquired lenses over the years in a manner that made going FX inevitable and seamless. You may find with your two primes that you are suddenly in need of a longer lens to get you to the same place as the 85 could get you mounted on the D70s. Even though I had the lenses I did dither over the reach/resolution question.
Cutting to the chase, I think the D600 holds my personal record for the most immediate, sharpest end of buyer's remorse. I think it was around frame 50 (the first two days were heavily overcast and useful mainly for playing around with iso 3200 and determining that it is indeed a viable option) finally in good light. I went out to shoot the D600 24-85 against the D90 18/70. The colors of the D600 were far more natural. Also, I had inadvertently shot a few frames underexposed at base iso and found that I could bring up the shadows up in PP nearly three stops without any visible noise penalty. Deal done. The next to last shoot I did was in a relatively dark room and I was forced to shoot iso 6400, f3.5, 1/80. Simply unimaginable on a D70 or D70s. Horizons widen in more ways than one with this camera.
That said, this is a more exacting camera to shoot well than its 6mp antecedents. Optimizing detail sharpness demands it to be held as stably as you can manage. If you already have developed a tripod or monopod habit, you'll be fine.

Best,

Hendrik

A general, generic topic Yet another pondering a D600 upgrade [View all] , PeteWebbo , Thu 31-Jan-13 10:57 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Yet another pondering a D600 upgrade