Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering with Non-D AF Lenses (20mm f2.8)

WildIsle

CA
650 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Metering with Non-D AF Lenses (20mm f2.8)"

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Wed 30-Jan-13 07:11 PM

There's been quite a few remarks about the D600's excellent metering - and I'd concur... at least until today when I discovered an anomaly.

Shooting an interior scene I switched lenses between four primes: 20mm f2.8 AF, 50mm f1.8 G, 85mm f1.4 G, 105mm f2.8 AF-D Micro. The latter three were spot on but I quickly noticed that the D600 was not metering well with the non-D 20mm. Quickly thinking that the lack of distance info might be interfering with the matrix meter I switched to centre weight (the scene was luckily suitable for centre-weight anyway with an alternating darker & lighter background) but there was no noticeable improvement.

It took a +0.7 exposure compensation to get the images up to an accurate exposure.

Any comments or similar experiences?

Philip

Exp-Comp. 0

Click on image to view larger version

Exp-Comp +0.7
Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

A general, generic topic Metering with Non-D AF Lenses (20mm f2.8) [View all] , WildIsle Silver Member , Wed 30-Jan-13 06:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering with Non-D AF Lenses (20mm f2.8)