Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is it worth upgrading from D90 to D600?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is it worth upgrading from D90 to D600?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 27-Jan-13 07:50 PM

You have a pretty generous family Vlad, better hold onto them....or have them adopt me;>)
The D90 is a very competent camera so I suspect you will only see a difference when shooting scenes of extremes of DR, low light or printing very large. The lenses you have work just as well on DX as FX so they do not in themselves create the reason to upgrade. If you want a D600, it is very good for image quality but the improvements are not as dramatic as the specs suggest unless working in extreme scenes, which are also on the verge of being too much for the D600 to handle also.
So the main justification for adding a D600 is simply because you want one, and that should be enough if your other financial obligations are not negatively impacted by spending $2000.
The changes in cameras over the last decade have been steady refinement but still the changes are incremental rather than revolutionary. Photo contests are still being won by users of D40s and D70s and of course D90s. One of my D90 images is regarded by friends as my best portrait against the competition from my D7000 and D800.
The biggest 2 steps up over the last 4-5 years has been getting the first pro type lens, a 70-200 which is still my favorite despite filling out the bag with all the quality glass I've wanted....except still craving a 200 2.0... and learning to effectively use speedlights to replace studio strobes for excellent portability and easy handling. I have not turned on the strobes for over 2 years.
I mention these points only to show that the steps get less dramatic as you progress above some base competency level of camera performance and the D90 is about at that base level where the improvements become less and less noticeable, and more and more expensive. The D90 can probably handle 90% of what it requested to do and the D600 ups that to about 95% so there are still 5% of shots that just are not going to be gotten with any current camera.
But it sure is fun trying;>) Having a new camera always sparks interest in pushing the limits.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Is it worth upgrading from D90 to D600? [View all] , vladiator Silver Member , Sun 27-Jan-13 08:07 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is it worth upgrading from D90 to D600?