Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A question about D600 and my current lenses

HenkB

Wayland, US
549 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: A question about D600 and my current lenses"

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Sat 26-Jan-13 05:04 AM

Awards ceremony sounds like a couple of things might be expected. Speakers, perhaps at lecterns; presentations (might be as few as two people, might be more - your friend should have some idea), portrait shots of recipients, group photos.
I just shot in a small chapel tonight with a D600. I bailed from the 85mm almost immediately. In order to get lots of face, I would have had to be very much in theirs. My experience, trying to get head and shoulders shots at 10~15 feet suggests you would be well served taking not only the 24-85 VR for groups, large and small, but the 70-300 (and a monopod, if you can scrape one up) for portraits. I was using the 70-200 VR1 and was very glad to have it. Take the 50, too, but don't count on it doing much for you unless it's majorly, horrendously dark. It was only horrendously dark in the chapel tonight - how does 1/80, f3.5, iso 6400 sound? The answer is just barely adequate to get skin up to middle tones.
I have tried shooting in this venue with the D90 and D300 in the past and felt stymied by the light. Am I pleased with the D600? No, not pleased, absolutely delighted. Small file (jpg, 283kb). Same file, full size (jpg, click on 'original' for full size - 7.5mb). Other than rendering to jpg and downsizing in LR, no processing, no sharpening, no cropping, no nothing.
In sum, go get 'em!

Best,

Hendrik

A topic tagged as in need of help A question about D600 and my current lenses [View all] , Tealorn Silver Member , Fri 25-Jan-13 09:21 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A question about D600 and my current lenses