Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 Opening Raw Files in Photoshop

WildIsle

CA
650 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 Opening Raw Files in Photoshop"

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Fri 25-Jan-13 05:08 PM | edited Fri 25-Jan-13 05:30 PM by WildIsle

>Philip,
>
>If you install the Adobe DNG convertor, can you then edit D600
>Raw files from within Photoshop?

Sort of - but that's not exactly, that's how it works. The DNG Convertor, converts NEF files into .dng copies. The .dng files can then be opened with Adobe Camera Raw (which ever version of ACR that is installed and works with your version of Photoshop). You make the ACR adjustments to the file in the Plugin Window immediately before the file actually opens in Photoshop.

So you end up with two files, the original NEF file and a new dng file. There advantages of DNG you can read about at Adobe.com. One downside is however that as ACR improves over successive versions with new features etc.,.. you are still going to be stuck with the earlier version that is compatible with your version of PhotoShop. But in theory, by the very nature of DNG as Adobe have created it to be a 'future-proof' format like PDF, even though you may miss some additional features you'll always be able to open it as long as you have some operating version of ACR and PS

If not, that really sucks.
>I used Photoshop CS3 for years. I recently upgraded to
>Photoshop CS6 Extended to take advantage of my new 64 bit
>Windows system.

So if you have PS6 then the most recent version of ACR will work and open D600 RAW files with no problem.

>
>BTW I never develop Nikon Raw files in Photoshop. I use Nikon
>Capture NX2 and then make any final adjustment with
>Photoshop.

So you don't need the DNG Convertor other than if you decide to adopt it for its other archival benefits.

A general, generic topic D600 Opening Raw Files in Photoshop [View all] , pappap , Wed 23-Jan-13 08:08 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 Opening Raw Files in Photoshop