Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Comparison of D600 vs. 700

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

" RE: The missing button..."

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 24-Sep-12 06:19 PM | edited Tue 25-Sep-12 10:47 AM by nrothschild

Sarasota Medievil Fair FL Nov 10-11-17-18

Tennesee Rennaisance Festival in May

The Ohio Faire runs a very good joust and they got one of our best jousters a few years ago (the Blue/Yellow knight in the image- Ripper Moore). But that is out of area. There are very few true competition jousting events in the USA.

Both are run by the same jousting company (The Free Lancers) that runs the Maryland Faire where I shoot. So I know those are the real deal. I would check out Sarasota. The Tennessee Faire hosts a tournament similar to ours on the last weekend (Memorial Day).

If you want to talk about the details of Jousting then we should start up a thread in the sports forum. I can post some images of the various events and give you some suggestions and things to think about as you plan it out. And it takes a bit of planning, like any sports event. Just finding a good shooting shooting position can kill a day, or even a few seasons.

These are very rustic, simple open air arenas, with a crudeness befitting the Renaissance Faires that they usually or always are associated with.

There is no official "photographer's area". This image is looking at the southwest corner. The List (the track or runway) runs roughly North/South here. This is a very old 2006 image. The low hedge was replaced with a somewhat higher and very problematic fence. Some regulatory issue. OHSA wanted more separation between spectators and rampaging horses or something to that effect.

The regular season sessions here are at 2, 4 and 6pm. There used to be a noon event, from which this image was shot. Maryland runs a noon event for the final weekend tournament and that slightly favors the east side. The arena is lined with pennants. You see a yellow pennant here, which is very problematic. I ask the Faire every year to take it down and they actually do . This was back in 2006 before I started doing that.

The south side is a huge 2 story dais; you would have difficulty getting access. As in near impossible unless you were "staff" and you would have to spend some money garbing up in typical Rennaisance Fair attire.

The north side is open but it looks into the sun except at the 6pm session when the arena is more or less in shade, more as the season progresses and the pine trees on the west side grow each year. I never liked that perspective but some do. There are obstruction issues except directly in line with the runway where they have concerns about the mounts over-running the List and then you have access issues. But it can be done if you get there early enough.

Because of the pennants around the List there are only 2 or 4 possible seats, front row center west side, with views unobstructed by the pennants. The Quintaine is dragged off to the side of the List before the lance joust and they put it.... just to the right of those 2 or 4 usable seats, so that pretty much killed that spot for me. I didn't like betting that they would not meet south of precise center. And with the new higher wood fence I doubt that is a very good angle.

Some shooters like the seating in the northwest corner but I don't like the angle as it relates to the two knights as they meet. But that is worth exploring.

By process of elimination you are looking at my corner for the 2,4 and 6pm sessions, and there is about 2 square feet of dirt that I, at 5'7", can now shoot from. There used to be a 6 foot strip that accommodated 3 or 4 shooters. Two feet for me and up to 10 other shooters. But most of them never figure out the secret spot. Not many regulars. Most shoot up against that wooden wall, where I used to shoot.

My spot requires that no one get up to go to the privies in the middle of a pass. And every now and then they do. There is no perfect solution here unless you are 6' or taller and even then there are problems with that position, which I used before the higher fence was installed last year.

The Tennesee setup is very similar, especially since it is the same jousting company and they have their ways of doing things. The knights have invited me down to TN for the Memorial Day weekend tournament there so I've studied some images of that List. Not sure how I would overcome some problems I see; I'd have to be there. Haven't been able to make the trip yet.

I have not run across images of the Sarasota field.

I don't know the compass orientation of the TN and FL Lists. If they happen to run east/west, for example, that would change a lot of the strategy although I think the geometry favors a corner at the end of the list, whichever has access and favorable light, with the knight on my side of the list heading toward me.

I'm not sure what you could do with remotes. There is no fixed spot like a basketball hoop where your subject is guaranteed to be at some point, and there is no tall infrastructure for cameras except a few flag poles. You would probably figure something out, though.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Comparison of D600 vs. 700 [View all] , output555 Silver Member , Sun 16-Sep-12 07:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Comparison of D600 vs. 700
Reply message The missing button...
Reply message RE: The missing button...
Reply message I think I shall be happy with my D300 and D700 combo RE...
Reply message I think I shall be happy with my D300 and D700 combo RE...