Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measurement...

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measurements"

JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Thu 18-Oct-12 01:33 PM | edited Thu 18-Oct-12 01:45 PM by JohnE Nikon

I am confused why the zone system used by Ansel Adams 1/2 century ago is being referenced here.
Yes, in his system there are 10 stops of light between black and white.

The human eye can decipher 24 stops of light between black and white. (Albeit with a change in aperture/ pupil size)

A modern A/D converter built in our camera has a dynamic range of about 16 stops of light.

A modern monitor may be able to display a dynamic range of 18 stops.

The better dynamic range of your initial image should help you with processing to obtain an image with the best dynamic range. This would be true at iso 100 and the benefits are not simply relegated to the high iso's where your dynamic range finally goes down to 10 stops.
For instance a camera with poor dynamic range would only record black in a shadow where this camera will have detail that could be brought out selectively and displayed. The same is true to a lesser degree with highlights.
Ansel Adams had 10 stops in his system. I would think that a system with 16 or 18 stops would be more applicable to the digital age.
I have been impressed with my ability to push the images in post processing from this camera.

see this link for more info on dynamic range.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

The dynamic range vs iso chart demonstrates near equal performance between the D800 and D600.
The bar chart was confusing for me and I think shows that the D800 is significantly better. Does this make sense to anyone?

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measurement... [View all] , bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources , Sun 16-Sep-12 03:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measure...