Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measurement...

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measurements"

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Wed 17-Oct-12 10:57 PM

>>Under/over within the 10 stop range is understood. It is
>not clear to me how that has any benefit outside the
>range.<
>
>I don't quite follow what you mean. Please can you clarify?

I guess I'm thinking that you mean the likely hood of having an over/underexposure situation is decreased, if the range of the camera covers all values in a scene.

>
>My original comment was simply alluding to the fact that the
>greater the DR of the camera, the less likely will be
>overexposure or underexposure of an image I capture, all else
>equal, and that with a D800 I have captured images that even
>with careful exposure were barely prevented from being both.

OK, I guess I need to get one to play with it . I was thinking that 14.5 stops has 4.5 more stops than needed per se. If your exposure is accurate within +/- 2.25 stops, the range should have you covered?

Initially I was thinking in terms of an incident meter exposure where zone V would be exposed for zone V and all the other zones would fall within the latitude. The comments on exposure error got me to thinking that extra range would be or exposure forgiving.

>
>>The SNR argument is one I hadn't thought of and that might
>be the king pin?<
>
>No idea. The thought occurred to me as I wrote the post.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

This is a hot, active topic! D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measurement... [View all] , bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources , Sun 16-Sep-12 03:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 preliminary Photographic Dynamic Range measure...