Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 AF center softness

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 AF center softness"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 15-Jan-13 11:43 AM

It's probably a good idea to take a series of test images and post a representative image here. Post a full image and a 100% crop so we can see the problem. There are a lot of sources of softness.

Having a problem with multiple lenses would indicate a camera problem, a technique problem, or a setting problem. But if half of your images are sharp and the other half are soft, technique seems to be more of the issue. A camera problem would show up in every image - not half your images. Fine tuning is lens specific and should not automatically be required for every lens.

I would not rule out settings. The increased resolution of the D600 viewed at 100% show softness that might otherwise have not been noticed - especially shooting wide open. For example, the 70-200 shows softness at f/2.8 - and does not reach optimal sharpness until the f/4-5.6 range. Also the FX sensor effectively provides DOF about 1 1/2 stops wider/shallower than the same settings for DX, so it's easy to not have enough DOF for an image using settings that were fine on DX cameras. The 85 f/1.4 is known for both a shallow DOF and nice softness to the subject and background - but it may not be the sharpest lens.

I've had a D600 since initial release and have not seen a focus problem.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic D600 AF center softness [View all] , Anothergo , Sun 13-Jan-13 10:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 AF center softness