Thu 10-Jan-13 12:39 AM | edited Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44 AM by mpage
Here are the results for the first cleaning of my D600 after 1000 shots. I used a 105mm f/2.8 set to f/32. I used the test image method by shooting the computer monitor with a white Photoshop background and the auto levels adjustment on the resulting images. I flipped the images to represent the correct orientation to the sensor. I also converted the images to B&W to eliminate the color noise.
View the following link for the test image process:
Note: If you do not see any difference when applying auto levels, it means that you over exposed the image. Use a faster shutter speed and the auto levels should then work.
It took me awhile to get a hang of the process. My first attempts made things worse. I needed to use three swabs because I applied too much cleaning solution. It will not be as difficult the next time. I learned a lot from this first experience. Knowledge is one thing, but practical experience is quite another.
I used the FireFly blower, the Attic Butterfly, the Sensor Pen, and the Visibledust swabs and sensor cleaning solution.
I believe there was a minute amount of lubricant on the lower left portion on the sensor. I could see it in the before image, but I could not see it with the 7x loupe. It looks like something attracted the dust into a pattern.
I don't know if the amount of dust in the before image would have actually revealed itself in normal shooting situations. I will test this before the next cleaning, when I can shoot a blue sky.
See the pinned post at the top of the D600 Forum, "Zen and the Art of Digital Sensor Cleaning", for more details on cleaning tools and methods.