Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D600 Ken Rockwell Settings??

WildIsle

CA
650 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D600 Ken Rockwell Settings??"

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Fri 11-Jan-13 03:24 AM | edited Fri 11-Jan-13 03:25 AM by WildIsle

>Referring back to my original question: "Has anyone used
>the Ken Rockwell Nikon D600 Settings that are available to
>download from his website?
>If so, how are they working out?"

Okay - I took the bait.. umm I mean rose to the occasion!

I've read enough of Rockwell's blog that some of this shouldn't have been a surprise eg: he prefers P mode which he calls 'professional. And really it was right there that I started fighting the settings and pretty much felt in a battle with the camera (vs. my own preferences) from there on in.

I only worked with his U1 (Landscape) as the U2 is a has he describes for low res family shots. Where do I begin?

- I much prefer A mode so I can have complete control of depth of field so I did not enjoy being in P or flexible program mode at all.

- ISO auto, might work for some but again I much prefer being able to control the ISO and thus noise. I did a fair bit of low light evening shooting and even star trails so by teh time I got to the stars I had overridden KR's U1 and turned ISO Auto off.

- File size is too small for my liking. Somewhere I noticed my D600 was at Basic S. Just don;t see the point of shooting a 24 MP camera to take tiny files.

- Miscellaneous, I found KR made little use of My Menu, there were only three or four items. I have one full screen's worth and only one is the same (Non CPU Lens Data)

- I didn't find out what it was but to start every image was overexposed and I quickly dialed in a -0.7 exp comp to get a better exposure (??)

Overall I would go back to my original reply and say that it makes much more sense to build one's own set of settings. Adapting to another's however straightforward that might sound in principle I just found frustrating. I have no real criticism of KR's settings, if they work for him that's great but they aren't my preferences and of course I saved my own U1 & U2 and will be loading them back right away.

There you have it

Philip

This is a hot, active topic! Nikon D600 Ken Rockwell Settings?? [View all] , wh_auden Gold Member , Tue 08-Jan-13 05:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D600 Ken Rockwell Settings??