Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 or D800 Body?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 16-Sep-12 11:15 AM

Welcome to Nikonians posting. Your question will be best answered by yourself after you review your subject matter, style of shooting and display format.
If you print really large there is an advantage to the super resolution of the D800 but both cameras had superior resolution.
Both have very good low light and low ISO noise performance, the best in the industry.
Do you really depend on burst mode, there is a slight advantage with the D600?
There is an advantage with the D600 having smaller files. Both will be great for your landscapes, portraits, and general shooting.
The advantages of the D800 include a world class AF system that tracks moving objects second to none, along with the D4.
The metering sensor is very high res(91k pixels) which aids tracking, metering and ADL.
Many people value lighter weight of the D600 as a positive but it becomes less an issue your flash, maybe a battery grip and a pro lens is mounted, both are heavy, too heavy for comfortable neck strap use. A good sling strap will resolve that so you will be comfortable carrying either for hours.
The layout will be similar but closer to the D7000 than D800. Build is hard to evaluate objectively since both would be expected to survive a lot of abuse like all recent Nikon's from entry level to pro. The body of the D800 has a full magnesium shell except for the flash housing, while the D600 has a cast magnesium back and top, like the D7000 which has proven to be quite rugged.
On a personal side, I have the D7000 and D800 so see the similarities to both. I would never give up my D800 willingly, it is better than I am but allows me to expand my skills daily. It is flat out excellent.
All the subsystems like metering, AF, AWB and extraordinary DR work together to reinforce each other better than any camera I have used before. Color, detail in shadows, wide DR and great AF make taking a technically poor image difficult to do. Before the D800 was released, to match the $8000 D3x you had to go to much more expensive MF cameras. Now suddenly are two D3x beaters at affordable prices.
Tough choice but one which happily has no losing result. Either camera will generate stellar images.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question D600 or D800 Body? [View all] , arjenkins , Sun 16-Sep-12 05:50 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 or D800 Body?