Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DX VS. FX ON THE D600

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: DX VS. FX ON THE D600"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Fri 21-Sep-12 12:37 AM | edited Fri 21-Sep-12 01:02 AM by MotoMannequin

>I don't know what numbers you are refering to, but what I see
>is the both D800 and D600 blows the D7000, except from the
>pricetag and weight

Specifically: I'm referring to DxO performance numbers in DX crop mode (DxO calls this "screen mode") which is what the OP asked to compare.

The numbers you're looking at refer to D800 & D600 in FX mode. You cannot generalize FX performance numbers into DX performance numbers because the DX sensor is less than half the size of an FX sensor, and therefore collects less than half the light. This is true as well for an FX sensor in DX mode, and yes collecting less than half the light does result in lower performance just enough to level the playing field to a modern DX camera like D7000...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D800-Review/Sensor-performance

"With a nearly identical pixel pitch (4.7µm) and very close measurement results (in screen mode), be they for SNR, DR, or color sensitivity — those who predicted that the D800 would achieve pixel quality close to that of the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K5 were not wrong. (If we wanted to get a little nit-picky, however, we might be tempted to point out that there has been no significant progress with respect to pixel quality since the D7000 and the K5 first appeared back in 2010….)"

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic DX VS. FX ON THE D600 [View all] , Rassie Gold Member , Sun 16-Sep-12 02:46 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX VS. FX ON THE D600