Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with FX techniques please.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help with FX techniques please."

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 26-Dec-12 11:09 AM

>The way I see it, a lens/body combination either needs AF
>Fine Tune or not.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

AF Fine Tune can be a very useful feature, but is not an automatic solution to every problem with "softness". Nikon say (in camera manuals) that it should only be applied when a lens/camera focusing error is present. It definitely calls for some care and skill to set up and perform the necessary testing. Even then, with zoom lenses in particular it's possible that applying an adjustment which works well at one focal length and focus distance may make things worse at other settings.

>It's nothing to be obsessed about...

I agree, but I see many people treating it as "normal procedure" when it's not intended to be.

>...find it kind of pointless to try to improve your technique if
>the lens can't focus correctly.

My view is different - to me it seems to be pointless to tune focus if a basic lack of skill and knowledge may still prevent someone getting good results - and may even get in the way of applying the adjustment accurately.

But at the end of the day each of us must make our own decisions

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic Help with FX techniques please. [View all] , stash Gold Member , Sun 23-Dec-12 05:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help with FX techniques please.