Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Optimizing D600 AutoFocus

WildIsle

CA
650 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Optimizing D600 AutoFocus"

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Thu 27-Dec-12 04:01 PM | edited Thu 27-Dec-12 04:09 PM by WildIsle

Beyond the AF-On customizations here's a couple of things I've settled on to experiment with.

I've created U1 -Action & U2 Portrait settings - setting aside the full details the AF configuration I've chosen to experiment with are:

U1 (action): AF-C, 3D. Custom Settings: AF-C Release, Focus Tracking 2, No. Focus Pts 11. AF-On unassigned (shutter)

U2 (portrait) AF-S, Single Pt. Custom Settings: AF-S Focus, Focus Tracking 3, No. Focus Pts 39. AF-On Assigned to AE-L button

Never mind the merits of U1/U2 I think they will give quick access to these two different AF setups for some comparison and experimentation. I've three days in the mountains coming up and will put these setups through their paces.

No matter the shooting situation I've always been wary of Auto/Dynamic/3D autofocus. I don't like the focus points jumping around as a speeding skier goes by. And let's be honest, the camera manufacturers have used the same lofty hyperbole to describe autofocus for twenty years!. So I've stuck with single-point through everything. But with a new generation of AF (I skipped the D7K) I figure it's time for me to make an effort to see what the current technology can do in real world shooting.

In other AF news: Has anyone been using Auto-Area-AF ? How reliable is it??

Philip

A general, generic topic Optimizing D600 AutoFocus [View all] , WildIsle Silver Member , Sat 22-Dec-12 06:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Optimizing D600 AutoFocus