Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 1st impressions

John Cerra

Westfield, US
214 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 1st impressions"

John Cerra Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Mon 24-Dec-12 12:18 AM

I have both a D300s, and a D600 that I got a week ago.

I would agree that the D300s feels a little more solid. But I think the D600 is solid enough.

I have only done two photoshoots, with the D600, both in tough circumstances. The first was shooting a private karate lesson for my son in a barely lit room. I shot with the 50mm f1.8. The results wee superb at 3200 and impressive at 6400.

The second was a high school basketball game. Other than some concerns about if the AFC tracking was locked on, I loved it. I shot with a 85mm f1.8 and the shots had a wow factor that I never had with the D300s.

(I do not post pictures of karate or hs basketball in forums, all of these kids are under 18.)

I have fooled around with the kit lens a bit, and I think it will be very useful. I see vignetting, and barrel distortion and pincushion distortion. The first problem can be dealt with by stopping down to f 5.6, and you have the ISO headroom in the camera and the VR in the lens to do it. Both distortions can be dealt with in post processing.
Other than that, I think is the lens is fine and is getting the "kit lens" bad rap...

I passed on the 70-300. That is a lens that I think is outclassed by several options.

John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D600 1st impressions [View all] , stash Gold Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 04:43 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 1st impressions