Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

using manual focus lenses on the d600

blw

Richmond, US
28704 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: using manual focus lenses on the d600"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 07-Apr-13 02:47 PM

The DX uses only the central part of the image circle, and therefore avoids the corners, which are often the more problematic parts of the formula. On the other hand, for two cameras with equivalent megapixel count (such as the D7100 and D600), the DX will also put more pixels into that central area. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I have a Katz Eye in some of my cameras, and it helps. However, I think that for tripod work - particularly macro or landscape - LiveView is a much better solution, although it does use battery more quickly.

As far as the specific lenses:

1) The 55 Micros are often people's sharpest lenses. I have a 55/f2.8 that certainly outperforms (optically, anyway) lenses like the 24-70 and 70-200. I am told that the older 55/f3.5 is even better. Either will certainly work well on any of the discussed cameras.

2 and 3) Not the legends, but certainly pretty good. You'd find that they work well, but there are certainly better lenses available. On the other hand, they're paid for, and the ones that are better are mostly a lot more money. You're really in the same situation as you always have been in.

4) This is a classic. Unless it's a really old version (1970s), it's essentially the same as the modern Tamron 90/f2.8 which is still a top-caliber macro lens. A 1980s version would lack some of the latest coatings, but particularly in a macro lens that is rarely a consideration. (The same is true of the Nikkors above.)

5) I'm not sure about this one. I had a 28-90 Series 1 and was not happy with it at all. But this is a different lens, and from what I remember there were a number of different suppliers, at least one of which provided two different models.

6) This one is one of the better reflex lenses. As long as it hasn't gotten out of alignment, it will perform quite well. There have always been better 500mm lenses available, but they've always cost a lot more, too. This one in particular will benefit - A LOT - from LiveView. You must surely know that this one is very hard to focus, even on film cameras. It's even harder on DX, and still not easy on FX. (Yes, the viewfinder systems are different.) But with LiveView you are using the actual pixels of the sensor to do the focusing, so there can be no inaccuracy, especially if you zoom the display. If you haven't been using LiveView or whatever Canon calls it, you may even discover that this one is better than you ever knew. From what I recall, this particular lens has a pretty fair amount of corner fall-off, so you'd be doing more post processing on FX than on DX, but again, that's been true of this lens since it was made in the 1960s.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic using manual focus lenses on the d600 [View all] , wcm2831 , Fri 21-Dec-12 01:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: using manual focus lenses on the d600