Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Impressed right out the box!

WildIsle

CA
645 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Impressed right out the box!"

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Fri 21-Dec-12 02:30 PM

Thanks for the observations Jesse, my D600 arrived yesterday too, after what seemed like an interminable 2 month wait. But all is forgiven and forgotten now as I have my new baby on the table in front of me!

Agreed with much of your comments although I had read extensively about the camera ahead of time and was prepared for the drastic drop in AF coverage from a DX body. I can see this is going to take a little adjustment in technique. It almost seems more expedient to just reach for the MF ring on the lens than to scroll through a gazillion tiny AF areas crammed into a small space in the centre of the frame! For the first few years I had an autofocus body I ignored it and continued with MF as it had become so ingrained (and AF was hardly what it is now), it might be fun to revisit those old habits.

Coming from a D300s the layout is a bit different but it all seems intuitive and I am thrilled with the simple lock on the mode dial. I've had several bodies with similar knobs without a lock over the years and have groused many times about that after taking a stream of shots only to discover the mode dial had moved and the exposure is all blown.

But cutting to the chase, the performance is top deck and the images are amazing! I went for a walk yesterday afternoon with some family. It was overcast so I automatically set a +.3 exp/comp. but immediately noticed the pictures were a little over exposed. The meter is accurate! I spend a lot of time on snow and cloud is hardly unknown on the west coast so I look forward to seeing how well the D600 meter reads these scenes.

Then there's the clarity and detail!!! I'm in awe!!!

Early days but this is clearly all the camera I hoped for and some. My FX glass is going to be in its element (no pun intended !!)

I did take my very first shot as a dust reference! No sign of any noticeable dust on arrival SN 500XXXX

Can't wait for the sun to come up and get back outside!!

Philip

A general, generic topic Impressed right out the box! [View all] , jesse101 Silver Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 01:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Impressed right out the box!