Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Impressed right out the box!

jesse101

Great Falls, US
688 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Impressed right out the box!"

jesse101 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2011
Fri 21-Dec-12 02:21 AM

Well i just got my new D600 in the mail today, and i must admit, i am really impressed.

i wont go into details as far as packaging, settings and so on, as you could toss a dart in the dark and hit a review that explains all of its specs. I will however, share my personal experiences and what i like and dont like so far.

Its build quality is a lot like the D7000 from what it seems, i mean even the 39 focal points look like they came from the D7000 when i am looking through the view finder. My one gripe, they dont cover the entire frame, they all seem to be concentrated in the center? it almost seems like a waste when i move my focal point to either corner, when in fact its like a bit off center when viewed. this also brings me to the multiselector pad...its a bit too small for my taste, at times i would like to move my focal point when in view, and i find myself searching for the multiselector.

I like how its not too bulky in design, also, everything seems to be laid out pretty well. Shutter speed and aperture is dead easy to access, same with the focus mode selector (which i dont change often while in view). Would have rather liked to have ISO in this location instead of on the back located amongst the rest of the function buttons. This point brings me to the ISO button, granted its located right at your face when in view, but this just needs to get some use to, would have been better if it was located at the same location as the focus mode selector.

The mode dial..well, is a mode dial, nothing different there, again, i mostly shoot in Manual mode, so once its set, its a done deal for me.

Live view switch, seems nice, i hardly ever use it unless i am shooting movies, or shooting macro as its a battery killer. One thing i did notice, cant change my aperture while in live view mode? WTH? i read a firmware update is coming to resolve this issue? who knows

Battery charger, its a bit bulky and that attachment i guess is a nice feature, especially if you travel abroad and need a different power receptacle, it can be swapped out with ease.

the image quality is something else..wow! outstanding. taking shots seem almost effortless, AF is fast and in quite mode, its really quite! which is really important to me when i have to shoot retirement ceremonies....(individual on a podium, crying...then you hear a loud click lol) no worries there. Again my only gripe..is how the focal points are laid out, its almost like one giant focal point dead smack in the middle..would have been really nice to use the entire frame, thats so i am not moving to far from the eyes after i hit my point..but then again, after taking a couple of shots, i dont think its an issue at all. here is a shot i took while my daughter was eating her food..it was nothing spectacular, just set aimed and shoot..and it turned out to be really sharp for the situation. I am excited to see what it can do when i am trying to get a nice exposure...at any rate, here is a shot taken with my Tamron 28-75mm 2.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73141335@N06/8293284358/

overall, i like it and i cant wait to take more shots. Also i did the white wall test and could not notice any oil spots as of yet, my first 4 of my serial number is 3009XXX. So far so good, will provide any updates if i notice anything out of the norm or anything in the norm that impresses me none the less.

Jesse

My Gallery:

http://jessemartinez.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Impressed right out the box! [View all] , jesse101 Silver Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 01:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Impressed right out the box!