Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

These are oil spots, yes? S/N 324XXXX

elec164

US
2575 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: These are oil spots, yes? S/N 324XXXX"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Thu 13-Dec-12 12:54 PM

>This doesn't look like the dust spots I've been seeing in
>other examples, so I'm assuming this would be an example of
>the oil spot issue, or am I wrong?

Those are certainly unique looking spots that appear different than the typical dust; but then they also don't look like the typical oil spots either (at least not the one's I've witnessed or seen from other examples).

My D7000 was confirmed by Nikon to be one of the units affected by the lubricant spray issue and repaired by them. But then the spots I had did not appear as other examples of oil spots. Most oil spot examples that were results of throw from the mirror mechanism lubricant were clear round spots. Mine were more opaque in appearance with what seemed like Newton rings.

This is a PS enhanced example I used in my If not Lubricant...then what? thread.

Click on image to view larger version

Also in that thread Stan made the assertion that with modern DSLR's Nikon switched to low friction surfaces and no longer lists lubrication points in its maintenance manuals. It was that statement that convinced me to send my camera in for evaluation.

As to the issue abating over time, it depends on the source. In my case the appearent source was a defective seal on the charging motor for the mirror drive mechanism. Yeah over time as the motor lost enough lubricant the spot issue would decrease. But then lacking lubricant eventually the part would fail when the camera was well out of warranty necessitating a costly repair. And if Stan's comment about the low friction surfaces is true, then there should be no areas with excessive lubricant that could be the source that would naturally abate over time.

I can certainly empathize with you for I know how frustrating it can be to explain an issue you are having that the majority of other users aren't. And I hope you can eventually get to the bottom of this and get a satisfactory explanation and resolution.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic These are oil spots, yes? S/N 324XXXX [View all] , VandA4evuh , Thu 13-Dec-12 05:27 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: These are oil spots, yes? S/N 324XXXX