Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body obsole...

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body obsolete?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 12-Dec-12 11:30 AM

I agree with Perrone - I see no advantage of using the DX crop over cropping in post processing, and would just get a DX camera if I wanted a crop most of the time.

The big disadvantage is the viewfinder is still FX, so the DX crop is composed using a smaller part of the viewfinder. It's not the same as viewing through a DX camera viewfinder where the viewfinder matches the image.

Given that a DX crop is smaller than a D300s image - and much smaller than a D7000 or D5200 image, you're just giving up too much.

Now the big positive of FX is since you are using a longer lens, you get much better subject isolation and a nicer background than the same scene with DX. If you have enough reach, I find FX to be more pleasing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body obsole... [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Tue 11-Dec-12 04:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body ob...