Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body obsole...

WildIsle

CA
650 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body obsolete?"

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010
Tue 11-Dec-12 08:04 PM

That's a good question. I had/have a D300s prior to ordering a D600. I thought long and hard about it but ended up putting my D300s on consignment.

I know I'm losing the much faster frame rate and the AF sensor coverage (these being the main ones for me). But gaining the much better low light performance and perspective of FX (again my main reasons for moving to FX).

Just before I got my D600 I had a week long wildlife photography cruise on the BC Central Coast. The reach and frame rate of the D300s was as always a great advantage but when it came down to reviewing results critically the low light noise was just too much to stay with.

Now it's winter it'll be a few months until I get back to the wildlife and I know it will take a bit of an adjustment in shooting to get the most out of the D600 but the low noise and dynamic range I know are going to blow the D300s out of the water. So I'm okay with what admittedly was a difficult decision.

Having said that I will be keeping my D5100 as my lightweight body for hiking & climbing etc...

Philip

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body obsole... [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Tue 11-Dec-12 04:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Does the D600 dx crop mode make owning a dx body ob...