Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dust on Digital Darrell's Sensor ... Noooooo!

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Dust on Digital Darrell's Sensor ... Noooooo!"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 11-Dec-12 08:28 AM | edited Tue 11-Dec-12 08:29 AM by km6xz

Darrell, you ought to save all that worry by buying my miracle dust vaporizer, only $22.99 but you must sign a NDA to prevent you from revealing it is just a sliver of broken toothpick that you jam in the lens aperture index arm that prevents stopping down to f/32. Works like a charm. It is a Green product, recycled and renewable.

On a more serious note, the cleaning solutions sold in tiny bottles for high prices are mostly the same, the main ingredient is isopropanol or dimethyl carbinol and if it has a slightly sweet smell, like your Eclipse, it also contains a bit of ethylene glycol butyl ether. Those are cheaper than bottled designer water by the gallon so lens cleaners are only expensive if you want them to be. A 50ml bottle of special magic lens/sensor elixir from a name brand actually contains about $0.05 in chemical costs. $10 at a industrial chemical supply house would yield 52 years worth of daily cleaning of your D600. It would last 1652 years if you also buy my miracle Dust Vaporizer.

I have to laugh at the fear of cleaning such a hard surface after years of periodically cleaning the diaphragms of my collection of vintage large diaphragm condenser mics. Each of those are worth more than a D4, and have soft gold sputtered 4-6 micron thick Mylar diaphragms on both sides of the capsule .5 to 1.4 inches across. Those are tests of skill and nerves while a hard surface AA filter is tougher than tooth enamel by a wide margin. The AA filters are not as hard as the sensor but still harder and more scratch resistant than stainless steel and about the same 5.5mohs hardness as plate window glass, which is pretty darn hard. We use dirty gritty, silica sand covered wipers scraping over our car windshields and think nothing of it, but afraid of the much softer, fluid lubricant/solvent dust removal of a AA filter. People are funny....
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Dust on Digital Darrell's Sensor ... Noooooo! [View all] , DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Mon 10-Dec-12 09:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dust on Digital Darrell's Sensor ... Noooooo!