Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF Sensors"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 15-Sep-12 07:11 AM | edited Sat 15-Sep-12 02:55 PM by km6xz

There is usually a judgement made based on number of FP by many on forums but there is much more information needed to determine whether 21 or 900 are better. The 39 used in the DX format D7000 covers more of the frame than 51 points in a D4. Concentration of points in the center as in the case of FX takes a little getting used to if one is coming from DX where the same physical cross section area of coverage is superimposed over a smaller sensor. We have a lot of experience with the Multicam4800 since many of us on the forum had or have D7000's. Compared to the -1ev sensitivity of the D600 and -2ev of the D800/D4, you will definitely notice the difference in improved focusing in dim light compared to the D7000. The speed and accuracy of the AF in the D7000 is a hint of what the D600 AF will be but the increased AF sensor sensitivity changes a lot of basic performance of the same system. With no other changes, having a higher res or sensitivity AF sensor and metering sensor will increase performance of the newer model with the higher sensitivity.
I like the D7000 as a really good theater camera because it is so quiet in Q mode. But the first time shooting ballet with the D800 in a major ballet theater, and fending off questions by the dozens of why I got to bring a camera and other members of the audience were not allowed, I noticed a dramatic difference in locking without hesitation on darker costumes or backgrounds that would have caused fits for the D7000. You WILL notice the difference moving to the D600.
More important the total number of FP, the number of cross type sensors determines how effective whatever number of points do have. Cross point sensor, usually spread tightly among the center most sensors, are less sensitive to the orientation of target edges so are more reliable in locking on random oriented details. Ever notice how when using one orientation to frame a shot and switching to say, vertical orientation of the camera that when using outer AF points, lock is easier or harder than the other orientation? There are two fixes for that, cross points or polarized slot lighting(like the Nikon speed light near IR focus assist light provides).
Overall, by virtue of the increased AF sensor sensitivity, I am going to confidently predict that the MultiCAM4800 will be more impressive in the D600 than the D7000(which is really pretty good).
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic AF Sensors [View all] , plbjb Silver Member , Fri 14-Sep-12 09:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF Sensors