Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF Sensors"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 15-Sep-12 02:28 AM

Lots of thoughts since I own and use both:

- I was completely taken by surprise on the f8 focussing capability. This is a significant advantage over Canon, who's 1D X $6,7000 top of the line can't do this. It means's you can use 2X teleconverters on f/4 lenses. My feeling is that even my combo which is f/4 and TC17 sustains a faster performance (at f6.7) as a result. And of course the 1D X and 5Diii can't even do the equivalent of my f/4 and TC17. I believe for us wildlife guys for whom teleconverters are a way of life, this is a significant advantage!

- I see Nikon have rated the 39 point AF module to -1EV which is only one stop off of the D800/D400 which set a new record at -2EV. What I don't know is what the D7000 39 point module was rated to? I suspect the D7000 only was rated down to 0EV or perhaps even 1EV? My D7K AF accuracy struggles in extreme low light Theatre, so if the D600 39 point received a 1 stop gain for example going from 0EV to -1EV, I would consider that a significant benefit. Perhaps not an issue for day to day AF, where I have been quite happy with the 39 point module.

- Does the 39 point cover less area of the FX frame than the 51 point? Some people are claiming so and I would like to hear more.

Anyhow the above is a detailed topic, more generally I still think the D600 is attractive, and having owned a D7K since day 1, I like the overall ergonomics, U1/U2, form factor, and like the D7K, an eventual good price point too. Certainly for me, my D7K replaced my D300 (which is now sold).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic AF Sensors [View all] , plbjb Silver Member , Fri 14-Sep-12 09:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF Sensors