Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Safe to buy D600 with serial number of 5XXXXXX?

jckingca

CA
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Safe to buy D600 with serial number of 5XXXXXX?"

jckingca Registered since 16th Dec 2010
Tue 04-Dec-12 10:05 PM

The serial numbers starting with 5xxxxxx are Canadian models I think.

My D600 is 5000XXX. Before I bought it I rented a D600 with the serial number 5005XXX.

Both cameras showed evidence of dust. With the rented camera, I used the Giottos rocket blower which removed a lot of it. Only the very small light coloured dust remained and it didn't show up in any photos.

The D600 I bought had less visible dust and most of it was removed with the blower. I also did a cleaning with a wet swab from Visible Dust.

I am monitoring the sensor and it appears that some dust continues to accumulate but it's not a great amount and not noticeable on any of my shots.

I shoot at f/8 and lower almost all the time so the issue is not bothering me right now and I will clean it again if the dust starts to show up in photos.

The dust is not a deal breaker for me. This is a superlative camera. So I would say it is safe to buy if you can accept a little extra maintenance work.

By the way, I did the "dust test" on my D7000 which I would have said was pristine and it showed quite a bit of dust too. I think many of us have been using dusty cameras without knowing it.

-John
http://www.kingphoto.ca

A general, generic topic Safe to buy D600 with serial number of 5XXXXXX? [View all] , stash Gold Member , Tue 04-Dec-12 07:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Safe to buy D600 with serial number of 5XXXXXX?