Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The Truth About Dust and Sensors

Danbie

Midland, US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The Truth About Dust and Sensors"

Danbie Registered since 31st May 2009
Tue 11-Dec-12 05:54 AM

I’m sorry but I have to take issue with your characterization of the D600 dust problem. You say “I know it is a pain having dust on a new camera's sensor, apparently from an internal source. I don’t like it either and wish it was not so. But sooner or later you will need to deal with sensor dust. It is a fact of life.” And you carry on with the sentiment that maybe it’s not a significant problem after all and it is easy to manage with just a little maintenance.
I have seen other threads that liken the D600 dust problem to buying a new car that simply needs to be cleaned and how absurd it would be to not buy a new car simply because it needed a bath. I submit, however, that a dirty new car is not the proper analogy. The proper analogy would be buying a new car that runs very rough or that does not shift smoothly. We are staring at plain objective data that shows that several of these D600 cameras have a real internal dust generation problem that might go away after it has been cleaned several times over the first few thousand shoots or it might not go away. I sometimes shoot day-long events and I can easily take several thousand photos in a single day – I don’t have time (nor the proper environment) to stop and clean the sensor after every 500 shots. But even if the dust problem seems to go away after a few thousand shots, this may be an indication of a higher likelihood for premature mechanical failure (like the transmission in a new car that doesn’t shift smoothly). Most new cars shift smoothly and I for one would not buy a new car that shifts hard because I would fear pre-mature transmission failure. Same goes for the D600 – as I assume that most Nikon FX cameras models do not have this kind of internal dust generation problem so it points to potential mechanical problems down the road.
The problem with the D600 internal dust generation is REAL and there is no denying or down-grading it. Your only option is to choose how you want to respond to the problem. Maybe you decide to order the D600 from B&H and hope your copy does not show any dust problems – knowing that B&H has a great return policy. Or perhaps you only plan to use your nice new camera shooting wide open and you somehow are not concerned about why or where the dust is coming from, then I guess that’s fine too – it’s your money to do with what you like. But for me, I’d rather complain and let Nikon know that they are losing sales until the issue is resolved.
For those of you that are still on the fence about whether this is a real problem here is a link that might shed some objective light.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/11/21/nikon-d600-dust-issue-demonstrated-in-new-time-lapse-video
In another forum folks have been submitting the SN of their new D600 camera and stating whether they have a dust problem or not. Very interestingly, it seems that cameras with SN above about 3045XXX are generally being reported as not having the dust problem. Those SN less than this (in the US) generally report dust problems. So maybe Nikon has already fixed it. I’m watching the thread closely.
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=435&topic_id=2418&mesg_id=2418&page=
One experiment I would really like to see is a video showing whether dust is generated internally from a new D4 or D800 (similar to the video in the link). I suppose that the answer is that D800 and D4s don’t generate internal dust. But it would be good to have some controlled experiments such as this.

Dan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! The Truth About Dust and Sensors [View all] , mpage , Sat 01-Dec-12 10:19 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The Truth About Dust and Sensors