Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Encouraging dust news from LensRentals

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Encouraging dust news from LensRentals"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 30-Nov-12 10:31 PM

It is not usually done but it IS an essential part of every serious hobbyist and pro's tool kit of accessories and skills. All sensors get dirty, just as all lenses and windshields get dirty. Unless we use a microscope to inspect our environment, we would hardly notice that our living space is awash in tiny particles, spores, and airborn pollutants. So in reality, the most amazing thing is being able to use a camera for a long time and not accumulate dirt, when every surface in our lives has more dirt, if you look closely enough. I know I have nothing as clean as my sensor, even when it needs cleaning. No consumer item, no air exposed surface is as clean.
Some people were upset when I did not appear to be sympathetic to those who claimed their camera was defective and Nikon should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a defective product. There are problems with the camera in some cases, a few have had AF problems, a few oil spray from ruptured seals on motors but the dust problem never had any supporting evidence to draw the conclusion that many people jumped to.
Watch the videos on cleaning and don't be afraid of damaging the sensor, it is tough material( tougher than the AA filter which is the closest to the sensor as you will ever get) but the AA filter is has a hardness rating of 5.5 mohs. We wash our cars and not fear ruining the paint, which is much softer and much more valuable, and more hassle and costly to repair than a sensor. We clean ous windows, some people even put in contact lenses where the surface they are being attached to is much more sensitive to rough treatment.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Encouraging dust news from LensRentals [View all] , kentak Silver Member , Fri 30-Nov-12 09:57 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Encouraging dust news from LensRentals