Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 focus point location - Q: limitation? A: Yes

EYeye

FORT WORTH, US
411 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 focus point location - Q: limitation? A: Yes"

EYeye Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2012
Tue 20-Nov-12 09:34 PM

>The focus and recompose technique - along with finding
>alternative focus targets - is something we learn to do
>without hesitation. I find the back button (AF-On) focus
>approach makes it much easier.
>
>I found moving from 51 pt AF to 39 point AF was irritating.
>Even more, the center and adjoining AF points are the most
>accurate so focus and recompose is a way of life.
>
>The FX cameras have a shallower apparent DOF than DX cameras,
>so you'll probably need to stop down more often to get enough
>of your scene in focus. It's typically about 1 1/2 stops. Or
>you can emphasize the shallow DOF and smooth backgrounds. But
>you need to be very conscious of focus planes for groups.
>
>I assume you still have two cameras. Two cameras can be a way
>to balance the difference between FX and DX.
>
>Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a good example of
>the magnitude of change in moving to a D600.
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera

Thanks Eric, and also BGD, for pointing out that in DX I can shoot with a "wider" set of focal points. You are both of course correct, and yes Eric, I still shoot with both bodies, and I got some lovely shots with the D80 with the 35mm 1.8 DX, as well as with the 16-85mm DX (in daylight)without going above ISO 400, and most at ISO 100. Have some decent shots at ISO 1000 of the dancing, cake cutting, and departure, all with the 35mm 1.8 DX. Also, yes, I have shot with AE-AL as Focus on since I got the D80. Can't tell y'all how many folks I have showed this technique who now do the same.

For Perrone/BGD/Patrick: as I said -
"However, I do wish the focus point were wider in the frame. They are not, and since I adore this body, I will not grouse about this; and simply posted an actual user answer to a question I see frequently posted hypothetically about the D600."

I have since even before this very fine body came out seen LOTS of complaints/concerns from people posing hypothetical problems. This is frustrating to me (& evidently to you as well). From the glass 1/2 full perspective, this is the FIRST time since I started shooting it September 19th that I had a limitation, and since it was an actual real life situation, I reported on it.

Here is some of what I have learned about shooting with the D600; (and Eric has already pointed out much of this as to DOF and aperture so I won't repeat)- I can shoot with confidence at higher ISOs than I dreamed possible, and often need to so that I can shoot with smaller aperture and higher shutter speeds (because as I hear does the D800, the D600 reveals more of my shooting faults); I need to plan a little more ahead (some of that will lessen as I gain experience with this body). This body likes a tripod (Duh). The battery lasted very well in 4 hours of shooting RAW + JPEG fine, and some flash work (so did the D80). People LOVE the dynamic range and tonal quality of the shots (so far mostly from looking at JPEG fine on a computer screen), as do I.

To answer your question, Patrick: I think when we quit manual focusing (& many have NEVER shot this way - because they did not have to) some of us got a bit lazy about using autofocus everything. We got spoiled. Hence the grousing. In this report,I had not expected to be seen as a complainer. I thought folks would appreciate knowing to watch for this little niggle, as it needs to be thought out in planning a shoot.

BUT OVERALL AS TO D600: IT'S A KEEPER! Still, if I have something to add, I will, as I assume many learn at least as much as do I from actual usage reports.

EYeye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D600 focus point location - Q: limitation? A: Yes [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Mon 19-Nov-12 08:10 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 focus point location - Q: limitation? A: Yes
     Reply message Thanks Stan
          Reply message RE: Thanks Stan