Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Desire vs Caution"

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Mon 17-Sep-12 02:28 AM

There is definitely a D600 in my future,...but that future is a year or two away. I almost never buy anything the moment it comes out. I hate paying full sticker (or worse, a mark-up above MSRP), and I don't like bugs. That said, I have bought a couple of cars the first year the new model came out, and they both turned out OK.

I have been using the D7000 for the past year. I agonized over going to FX (would have been a D700) or upgrading my D90 with another DX camera. Then the tsunami happened, D700's became scarce and expensive, and I opted to put the $1,200 in my pocket and stay DX. Most of what I shoot these days in my kids sports, so DX helps me there, anyway. That said, I know that FX in general, and this D600 in particular, would transform my indoor basketball photos. At 5.5 FPS, it's actually slower than the D7000, but still fast enough. And, I have a bag full of FX lenses from my film days that are still excellent.

I was actually thinking of picking up a used D700 once everybody got their D800's and traded a few in. Now, I'll just wait for the D600, and let the early adopters work out the bugs and pay the early adopter premium. There will still be a place in my kit for the D7000 and it's DX crop factor for field sports, but it will sure be nice to use my wide angle zoom again (I never got around to springing for the 10-24DX). I've also always wanted a real fish-eye, which is a challenge on DX. I have lusted for the FX viewfinder for years, and the FX sensor will be helpful as my son's transition to football under the lights. At $2,000 this is just at the upper end of what I can pay for a camera, and it has the exact same ergonomics as my D7000, for seamless transition between the two.

I'm still in shock that Nikon actually made this camera. I have been asking for an affordable FX sensor in a compact DX body for years. I hope this isn't a sign that Nikon is abandoning DX to D3200 level cameras, but I doubt it is.

So, sign me up for a D600, just not until the fall of 2014.

Now, if we wish REAL HARD, maybe we can also get an updated AFS 80-400 VR?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Desire vs Caution [View all] , kentak Silver Member , Fri 14-Sep-12 12:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Desire vs Caution