Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wide angle vignetting

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10538 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Wide angle vignetting"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 07-Nov-12 03:17 PM

I see exactly the same issues as Neil with the 16-35 and the 70-200 Ver 1. I see exactly the same soft corners on the 16-35 and darker vignette on both 16-35 and stronger on the 70-200 (to the point where I will probably replace the lens).

You have to keep in mind that a 12-24 vignettes on a DX body. The reason you don't see FX lenses vignette on a DX body is that you are cropping away the problem.

Like Neil, I find software to be unable to fully correct the problem - especially at the wide end of zoom lenses. Software is okay for mild vignetting but not so good with a harsh vignette like my 70-200. And it does little with soft corners.

My approach is to just shoot a little looser with these lenses on FX - they are still good lenses.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! Wide angle vignetting [View all] , Speedybee , Sun 04-Nov-12 07:33 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wide angle vignetting