Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
EYeye

FORT WORTH, US
411 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ISO and Auto ISO - Problem resolved"

EYeye Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2012
Wed 31-Oct-12 02:28 PM

Thanks for sticking with me on this - to quote from your last post:

"There isn't a minimum setting for auto iso - it takes the base iso setting that you would have chosen in the menu, or via the iso button or command dials if you are using easy iso."

Yes, you are correct. I mis-stated this: In shooting menu Iso Sensitivity settings, I set "ISO Sensitity 100"; Auto ISO sensitivity control - On ; "Maximum Sensitivity 3200, Minimum SHUTTER SPEED 1/60" (So, in setting my "ISO Sensitivity" to 100 I set the minimum in Auto ISO as well.)

In Custom Setting d3 I had enabled "Show ISO/Easy ISO"

">5)It was getting pretty dark but the colors were still there
>in cirrus clouds swirling about in the west - and AUTO ISO now
>would not keep shutter speed above 1/160, so I wanted to
>"manually" dial in ISO - I could not, the ISO button
>did not operate as I had expected - because I had enabled the
>"easy ISO" function.

This isn't working the way it is supposed to. Easy iso should not disable the iso button."

What is now happening is simply that I do not need to press the ISO button to change the ISO settings when NOT in ISO Auto, I simply rotate the command dial. You and Brian have made me understand that the Easy ISO function changes things and I no longer have to push the ISO button to change ISO. I DO have to press the ISO button and rotate the subcommand wheel to enable or disable Auto ISO. I am OK with that. Just did not expect this. Actually, this seems BETTER to me,& easier.

">When I went back to menu ISO settings I saw that the camera
>had now selected AUTO ISO to be "OFF" (I had set it
>to "ON" earlier) and the ISO value selected was now
>3200, the highest value selected when in Auto ISO, when I had
>set it to 100. Also weird for me, but I now understand this.
>Just had to reset for the next shoot.

This is the part that worries me (for you at least) and there are really only two viable choices that I can see:

1) You accidentally changed base iso with the command dials / possibly the iso button (but you said previously that yours doesn't work when easy iso is set to on) and also accidentally turned auto iso off as well.
2) Your camera isn't functioning properly and you should consider contacting either the store that you bought it from, or Nikon support.
Secret option 3) did you change to or from one of the "U" modes? If these are setup differently (i.e. with base iso to 3200 and auto iso to off) then this would explain it.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but I'd rather work through this with you than have you using work arounds that you shouldn't have to!"

YES! this is the part that seems weird. When I go into shooting menu, the ISO sensitivity settings option now shows ISO sensitivity at whatever the last ISO setting I had dialed in with the command dial - and I can live with that, BUT the "Auto ISO sensitity control has now CHANGED to "OFF".

HOWEVER, since you agreed that this was odd, I brought the camera to work, and played with these settings, and here is what I now see that I had not seen before: When I leave the camera in Auto ISO (which is a control that did not work well for me on the D80, so it is "new" to my experience), the menu setting DOES show that "Auto ISO sensitivity control" is "ON", and if I Push ISO button and rotate subcommand dial to ISO (Not Auto ISO), then the menu for "Auto ISO sensitivity control" shows "OFF". What I am reading/settting in the menu settings does not really matter, what matters is what I have "dialed in" re ISO/AutoISO.

I now wonder if this is actually working just as mapped, and I simply had not seen the camera operate this way before, because I had not previously enabled "Easy ISO"?

If so, I am OK, I simply no longer need to go into menu settings to affect my ISO settings, and can just "dial them in" with the command and subcommand wheels. I can "reset for the next shoot" by using the dials instead of the menu.

I still have not set any "U" settings, but I see that they have some "defaults", which I will learn to change as I progress in learning this fine camera.

Does this seem "correct", or should I go visit Fort Worth Camera with my D600?

EYeye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic ISO and Auto ISO [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Mon 29-Oct-12 08:33 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ISO and Auto ISO
Reply message RE: ISO and Auto ISO - Problem resolved