Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
EYeye

FORT WORTH, US
411 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ISO and Auto ISO - Problem resolved"

EYeye Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2012
Tue 30-Oct-12 09:00 PM

OK - it is a confusing situation and not easily expressed in words - here goes:

1)I had set my ISO in the menu setup to be 100: because when the sun was still in the frame I could shoot at native ISO and f8 (a sweet spot for the 24-85mm 3/5/4.5 VR) and shutter speed around 1/250 (because hand holding a 24 MP sensor).
2} I had in the menu set my Auto ISO to minimum 100 and maximum 3200 (because that seems to work out for little visible noise most times for me).
3) I also had set "Easy ISO" on in menu (as pointed out by Brian earlier) and THIS was new to me (did it earlier that day for 1st time).
4) As sun went well below horizon I used auto ISO (held ISO button down and used subcommand wheel to enable Auto ISO) and this worked fine for awhile.
5)It was getting pretty dark but the colors were still there in cirrus clouds swirling about in the west - and AUTO ISO now would not keep shutter speed above 1/160, so I wanted to "manually" dial in ISO - I could not, the ISO button did not operate as I had expected - because I had enable the "easy ISO" function.

THIS is when I noticed what I described in OP. Now I know why, and I am OK with this - I was just surprised. Now the command wheel changed ISO without pushing the ISO button.

When I went back to menu ISO settings I saw that the camera had now selected AUTO ISO to be "OFF" (I had set it to "ON" earlier) and the ISO value selected was now 3200, the highest value selected when in Auto ISO, when I had set it to 100. Also weird for me, but I now understand this. Just had to reset for the next shoot.

EYeye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic ISO and Auto ISO [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Mon 29-Oct-12 08:33 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ISO and Auto ISO
Reply message RE: ISO and Auto ISO - Problem resolved