Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
BGD600

UK
317 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ISO and Auto ISO - Problem resolved"

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012
Tue 30-Oct-12 04:47 PM

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the easy iso function is resetting the iso starting point for your auto-iso function?

I've just tested mine out as a comparison for you and this is how it works:

1) easy iso being on does not disable the iso button on the back, I am able to use either to change the iso
2) Auto iso I have set to auto shutter speed and max of hi 2

When I set auto iso to off, then either the iso button allows me to change it as I would expect. The command and sub command dials do the same if I have easy iso enabled.

Changing the base iso using either method does not reset the auto iso, though it of course will only activate once the ISO that I have set is insufficient to make a correct exposure (i.e. if I have it set to 800 and it needs 1600 it will activate, if only 400 is required it will not).

Reading your posts, I think what you may be doing is resetting the base iso using the command dials and then expecting it to reset to the number that you have set via the menu after you turn on/off auto iso. It doesn't work this way in pasm mode, the menu / iso button / easy iso functions all perform the same function (i.e. to reset the iso)

AFAIK the only way to achieve an iso reset, without you doing it manually after you have altered it, is to use one of the "U" modes. These will save the initial iso setting and revert to it if you switch to another mode and then back again (note it won't do it if you stay in U mode and turn auto iso on/off.

One last bit that some folk may not realise is that if you have set the max sensitivity in auto iso to lower than that you have manually set - and you enable auto iso - it will take the lower of these two values for the maximum iso. i.e. if I set base iso to 1600, but then set max sensitivity to 400 in auto iso and enable it, then the camera will shoot at no higher than iso 400 until I either change max sensitivity or turn off auto iso.

HTH

A general, generic topic ISO and Auto ISO [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Mon 29-Oct-12 08:33 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ISO and Auto ISO
Reply message RE: ISO and Auto ISO - Problem resolved