Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D600 Focus Help!"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 05:47 PM

> I have been shooting continuous, 9 point, center weighted, jpeg. I do not "lock on focus", and my focus is not accurate. Should I try shooting continuos single point ( as I did in the 300) i feel as though the D600 might be controlling too much of the focus with the points set at 9.

The very first thing I'd do is to take some of your original out-of-the-camera files (not edited) and load them into ViewNX2 - so you can see which AF target was used. You may (and, in my opinion, likely will) get some surprises. When you select 9-point (and especially so with 51-point!) you are giving the camera license to pick "the appropriate" AF target, and until you get accustomed how it's going to do that, you will almost certainly get surprising results.

Then assuming that you did get some surprises, I'd go back to single-point, AF-C and try again. I think you'll get much better results.

> Shooting full field sports ( when you need a little extra lens) with a D600 and 70-200 2.8 what option would you choose?

How did you feel about the D300s at 200mm? Was it long enough? For my tastes, it wasn't. I pretty routinely used 500mm on DX, which means that I'd want around 700mm or more on FX to cover the whole field. (Possibly with two cameras, in my case.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic D600 Focus Help! [View all] , julieo Silver Member , Mon 29-Oct-12 12:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 Focus Help!