Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
b702sc

US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: OIL"

b702sc Registered since 23rd Dec 2012
Sun 30-Dec-12 02:13 PM

I have been lurking for a little while watching the comments go back and forth on the D600. One camp seems to think there is a problem and another camp is of the opinion that dust just happens.

I have owned and used cameras most of my life. To date, I have not seen the amount of debris fly through the chamber like a D600. Now while all of you that claim it is normal, keep in mind that it may be normal under normal operating circumstances such as changing lenses out in the wilderness, frequent lens changes, or just bad technique.

For those of you that have a great D600, you are so lucky. I really love the pictures that I got from it while I have owned it, except for the ones at F/4.5 to 11 that have the goobers on them while I have only had the camera for two days. Yeah, I have photoshop too, and yeah, I know how to use content-aware and make the goobers go away. By the way, why should I have to avoid a higher f stop because I may see dust that should not be there on most days? Yeah, I also know about diffraction, but should we have to alter any way we desire to take a photo because Nikon put out a product with problems? I don't think so.

There is clearly something wrong with the camera. I have no problem with the dust that I introduce into the equation, but popping on one lens with now other visits to the sensor, seems a bit strange.

From what I can tell, having had three different units from serial numbers ranging from 300xxxx, 303xxxx, and the ever-popular 3056xxx series, the spots that appear like lubricant have decreased. The dust remains problematic. Strangely, some of the debris appears to have an irregular pattern on some pictures. Yes, I tried blowing out the camera. Yes, some of the dust moves around. Yes, I could swab the sensor, but why? It is brand new. Should I need to do this immediately? I wish Nikon would update their instructional materials to mention that they could not keep their assembly line and distribution system clean, so you will need to clean up your camera thoroughly yourself prior to use. I would even feel better if they included a cleaning kit. Then I would not feel bad.

I really like the D600 better than the D800. I would like to see the D600 be successful, but until Nikon takes some pride and admits that they have an issue, I would not recommend anybody buy the unit. I finally moved on to a D800. Yeah, I will likely have dust, but so far in two days of using it, I do not have any problem with 1200 photos taken. Same lenses by the way from the D600.

The bigger issue separate from the fact that the D600 is clearly not doing something right, is that Nikon is stonewalling. Someone should record a conversation for playback on a comedy channel "we have not had any other complaints on that sir", "we are unaware of any issues", "no, nobody has sent one in for that". The list goes on.

As for the sites with the "gurus" that report that they have their D600 and they have no problem, or they cleaned it once, and the dust has not returned, wow, you are so fortunate. Of course, I must question the validity of their experience. If I did not see that convenient link to the vendor who is supporting their website/paycheck right next to the article that claims it is a great camera without any problems, or the problem is overblown, then perhaps I would believe them. The reality is that the D600 is a lower cost, great FX camera that will sell well given the recent bundle deal. Some people will see that great little review, feel warm and fuzzy, and then click on that link that generates revenue for the guy who owns the website.

I am not going to feel bad about not wanting to keep an expensive camera because it is essentially dirty. I am also not going to feel bad about returning a defective product. In about 4 to 6 months from now, I will look at a D600 again. I think it is better in many ways to the D800, but that is another conversation. Great camera, poor quality control at Nikon.

I am going back into the shadows now.

This is a hot, active topic! Dust or oil ? [View all] , TheGreatMike Silver Member , Sat 27-Oct-12 06:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dust or oil ?
Reply message Hard to tell....
               Reply message RE: Dust or oil ? Possible damaged foam?
               Reply message RE: Dust or oil ? Possible damaged foam?
               Reply message RE: Dust or oil ?yet
Reply message Oil is the problem, not dust!
     Reply message RE: Oil is the problem, not dust!
          Reply message update on my D600
               Reply message RE: update on my D600
Reply message OIL
Reply message RE: OIL