Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help deciding..."

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 18-Sep-12 09:37 AM

Dropping to 50 ISO means that very unusual conditions are present if 1/4000 is not fast enough. About the only time I see a need for 1.4 apertures outdoors in for portraiture and if the sun is that direct that requires 1/8000 at 50 ISO, I can sure bet the the shadows are going to be so harsh as to make the portrait unflattering. I shoot in those conditions a lot and seldom need even 1/4000 because some sort of diffusion is needed to prevent harsh shadows.
The base ISO of 100 on the D600 is same using 1/4000 as with prior cameras that had base of 200 ISO at 1/8000. So, a D600 will handle very bright conditions with more headroom than a D700. Never heard anyone complain about the strong light shooting with a D700. Consider the D600 has 2.3 stops more DR at low ISO than the D700, I would be looking at technique before limitations of the camera if someone can't get their shot in strong light with wide apertures.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Help deciding... [View all] , dortego , Thu 13-Sep-12 05:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help deciding...