Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jameskuzman

Girard, US
82 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help deciding..."

jameskuzman Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012
Mon 17-Sep-12 04:41 PM

Hello Dan!

Don't you love this forum for advise? I find the folks here to be very informative, practical, and thoughtful in their replies. I'll endeavor to follow suit.

To me, the difference in megapixels between the D600 (24) and D800 (36) can be an advantage or a disadvantage. For my personal use, I find my new D7000 (16MP) already creates files in excess of what I'd need to print, so it's plenty.

I know storage is cheap and fast computers with adequate memory aren't bank-breakers anymore, but bigger files mean more storage space and can certainly take longer to post-process.

As far as other features go, I'm not a sports shooter, so being able to go to 1/8000 shutter speed instead of 1/4000 is a non-issue (aren't both of those numbers mind-blowing, by the way?)

You do get more AF points with the D800, but 39 (what the D600 offers) is a lot to begin with.

The price difference between the two seems to be around $900, and personally, if I were spending my own money, I'd rather have the D600 and spend the rest on glass.

Either way, you'll hardly be disappointed with either camera, but I think taking a good look at what the extra $$$ buys you and deciding whether those features and specs are actually useful in the type of shooting you do is time well spent.

You'll let us know what you end up with, right?

Jim

This is a hot, active topic! Help deciding... [View all] , dortego , Thu 13-Sep-12 05:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help deciding...